Sunday, September 28, 2014

Gestational Diabetes - Dessert

It's been almost a month since I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and it's definitely been interesting.  I'm learning all kinds of things about what foods I can tolerate and what I can't.  One of the biggest concerns is whether or not I'm getting enough calories total, which is a huge challenge when you are eating a significantly lower number of carbs.  I'm making up a lot of the difference with fats and I'm getting probably more protein than I ever have since becoming a vegetarian.  There are two meals that definitely suck the most - breakfast, and dessert.  I'm sure there are psychological reasons why it's bad to be upset I can't have dessert and that means I'm a sugar addict but I'm 35 weeks pregnant and sometimes just need some ice cream.  

So far, I've found two desserts and one sweetish bedtime snack that agree well with me.  The key with all snacks is to make sure you are getting enough protein.  So here are mine:



Chobani Indulgent - we have both the mint chocolate chip and the raspberry flavors.  They have only 14g of carbs in a serving, and my snacks need to be under 15, and they have 7 grams of protein.  

Homemade banana almond butter ice cream.  This one is definitely an occasional snack, because the carb count and sugar count are pretty high, but it's certainly helpful to kick an ice cream craving.  

14 Wheat Thins with Trader Joe's White Stilton With Apricots.  (Photo from here.)  This cheese is delicious and the dried apricots make it feel gloriously sweet and indulgent.  The cheese itself has 5g of carbs, so I don't eat it for my regular daytime snacks.  For bedtime, I need to make sure my snack is a little more filling so I feel okay going a little over the 15g carb limit.  

I've also been eating a lot of cottage cheese with homemade applesauce, but since that is easy to pack into small mason jars and take to work, I simply eat it there.  Making your own applesauce is very easy and delicious.  I like chunkier applesauce, so that's what this recipe is for.  Leave the peels on the apple for convenience and fiber.  

Ingredients:
- 4 apples
-Cinnamon
-A tiny bit of water, like maybe a couple tablespoons

Procedure:
1. Chop apples into 1-2 inch pieces 
2. Put apples, water, and cinnamon into a pot on medium-low heat.  
3. Occasionally stir and break up the apples.  When delicious, remove from heat, put in jars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment